Alex's Outlook

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

As part of my senior thesis I am reading the Koran. I'm not nearly done with it yet, but it's already plenty surprising. Not because of the verses I'd read that exhorted Muslims to military jihad - every verse I've seen so far has been immediately preceded or followed by a caveat about not launching a jihad unless first attacked - but rather because of the Koran's statements regarding women. For example,

"They will also question thee as to the courses of women. SAY: "They are a pollution [emphasis mine]..." [Sura 2:222]

"And it is for women to act as if [husbands] act by them, in all fairness; but the men are a step above them. God is mighty, wise..." [Sura 2:228]

"With regard to your children, God commandeth you to give the male the portion of two females..." [Sura 4:12]

You can conceivably argue that Islam is a religion of peace, but I don't think you can argue that it promotes equality of the sexes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home